Wednesday, April 17, 2002

My friend M is in a Twelve Step Programme. I was once - ambivalently - in a twelve step programme. I am drawn to slightly cultish sub-groups with their own discreet language (viz blogging, judaism (just discovered a previously unknown combination of above two), art deco collecting, and, er, other stuff).


M always signs her emails "one day at a time" or "this too shall pass" or some other hug-enabled sop. Ooooh, stop me. Then I got to researching the Recovery Movement, as it's known, and discovered the Rational Recovery (aka anti-recovery) Movement. And also, that the original AA was based on the work of Frank Buchman and the Oxford Movement of the 1930s, later known as Moral Re-Armament.


Why did this pop into my head? Search me. Like I said, there's some kind of fatal attraction thing going on between me and any kind of cultish sub-group. What's next... selling Amway? Maybe I can get help for that too?

No comments: