Thursday, May 16, 2002

Been on a mental hyperlink frenzy, which went something like this. Ruby Wax. Alexei Sayle. The Fish People Tapes. Jon X (my best friend at school - he got me into Attila The Stockbroker). Here's another, maybe better, link.

I remember the eighties; ranting poets and crappy poppy music (which is truly the backdrop to my life). My Mum used to say (about Duran Duran) "music by drug addicts, for drug addicts." I remember seeing John Cooper Clark in some seedy Manchester pub.

So I did something just now I've not done for ten years. I found my compilation audio tape collection. Remember tapes? Now there's a legacy technology to die for. And dug out a cassette player - how retro - and I'm listening to an Alexei Sayle live gig as I write. "The Russians are running the DHSS". "Reagan's Really Lenny Bruce"

Here's what I remember about tapes: my best friend at school, Louise Hart (not seen her for years, anyone know her?) taping over all her tapes one night to "make them blank". We were eleven. I think she later became a high-flying lawyer. The compilation tape exchange that went on, variously, between Louise, and two other friends J and M. Listening to Stockport's pirate radio station. Getting tapes from people that had loads of background noise.

A wave of nostalgia has just drowned me.

No comments: