Thursday, May 16, 2002

I have strong views about Ruby Wax. I hardly ever watch daytime TV (because it addles your brain and no-one ever finishes a sentence. In fact, my attention span is so short that I can't finish this se-). But a friend told me that Catherine M was on this week.

Here's a few things I hate: almost without exception, eponymous daytime TV "talk" shows - Vanessa, Ruby, Oprah, Trisha, Esther. They chew people up and spit them out, they have an agenda generally so transparent that debate is meaningless, and an evidently self-selecting audience. Of people who watch daytime TV. Otherwise, how would they know about it. So I heard that Catherine M gave Ruby a hard time, which I'd like to see, given that she usually interviews people with a dominatrix soundbite journalism that churns my stomach.

Seemingly no Catherine M today, but Alexei Sayle, a child psychotherapist (who appeared to be in fancy dress) and child education hothouser... Mike Ryde, I think. From the Ryde College. Sounds like it's in his front room, doesn't it. (Alexei Sayle was one of my early childhood heros, schooling me in the art of the ridiculous. Obviously so ridiculous that there's not a decent web reference to be found on the Fish People Tapes.)

After an utterly facile conversation about child abuse, Ruby just went up to children and said "you're a genius, aren't you?" Made them do complex maths equations whilst their mother hens said they didn't want them to fail on national TV. Ruby played the ditz the whole time. She still thinks that if she laughs and shows a bit of cleavage she can get away with anything. Well, it's not true, Ruby. I saw her One Woman Show at the Tricycle, a couple of years back; she can't act, and I don't want to pay £12 for her to have therapy on me.

Rant over. No Catherine M, but I am going to hear her interveiwed by Edmund White on Sunday.

No comments: