Wednesday, May 15, 2002

I'm not that green , like I still have a car and feel like Ecover washing up liquid won't do it properly, even since they repackaged it. But I can't bear buying Tesco's roasted red pepper spicy humous for two reasons.

One is, that I've travelled all over the Mediterranean, and humous is humous. More or less lemon, or garlic, or olive oil, sure, but roasted red peppers? Chilli? No. It's a marketing construct, it's not an actual dip. And it's not even that nice. I like real food; pitta bread not garlic pitta bread. Yoghurt not Forest Fruit Yoghurt. Cheese without apricots and other un-cheese-like additions.

Second, though, is that they now sell it in an oh-so-generically-handcrafted pottery dish. So over a period of time, you could rack up a lot of these little dishes. Which are only really good for serving dips (or possibly, olives). Which you're buying, rather than making. So then you have to leave your job and open a dip shop; it'll all get out of hand, believe me. The new portions are smaller, for more money, with a piece of ceramic thrown in. Why, why why? I know we're all off packaging , it's so wasteful, but what's the point in this?

No comments: