Friday, May 31, 2002

I'm really upset about what happened to Luke , and now I find out that other loosely-related things are not uncommon. Although I know he didn't do anything wrong. And I'm partly upset because I've been through that kinda shit. But, whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger. Not that aphorisms help.

Bob linked his Guardian piece . It's true that there's so much technology around that anything and everything you do in the workplace can be looked at over your shoulder. But what does that mean about workplaces; surely a degree of trust is implicit in the employment relationship? When I was headhunter, their door-opening-technology even kept a record of which fucking doors you walked through. I wonder how useful that is? "Well, Sasha, we're concerned that you're through-doorput statistics are in the lower quartile, and we're concerned you might not be having as many ad-hoc mini-meetings as our current vision allows for. Do you have anything to say about that?"

I'm not sure the Big Brother world (and I mean that in an Orwellian rather than Channel 4 way) makes for good business. Or good human relationships. And also, I hate my friends getting treated like shit.

No comments: