Monday, June 17, 2002

OK, I'm back. My ennui-driven mini-vacation is over. I have stuff to tell you. But first, a Jonny Update.

Here are the things I forgot to say. At the end of our conversation, Jonny said to me "Well, we must meet up for a soft drink, sometime," and before I knew it, I had made a date to go out with him next Monday (a week from today).

Now I've been on a lot of shidduchim (tr: plural word for arranged meetings with a view to marriage) in my life, and not all of my own volition. And around twenty percent of them have ended one of two ways. (a) The guy says to me, "Sasha, I've had a wonderful evening, but I feel I should tell you that I've been living with my non-Jewish girfriend for the last one hundred and twenty-five years". Or, (b), they say, "I've had a fabulous evening, darling, and I'm sure it'll come as no surprise to you, given our shared love of interior design, typography and designer clothes, to know that I'm gay and just haven't told my parents yet."

I'm sure Jonny is in neither the (a) or (b) category, but I don't especially want to find out. My question to you is: should I cancel, or no?

No comments: