Tuesday, July 30, 2002

I can't believe that this woman has built up to getting $600 a week to help her pay off her credit card bill. And Elisabeth noticed the weird (ie no value) stuff she's selling on eBay, as well as her bad reviews.

How do I know this is real and not a con? Though it's a long game with a PO Box, so I don't know how watertight a con it is. And why are people sending her money? Just good karma?

If I said: I don't want to get a job-job (aka commercial kind I used to do) I want to earn money from writing and I'd like you all to send me a dollar (or a pound, or a euro); would you? (off-topic: hearing a story on the Today programme this morning about how Travelex is better value than the Post Office for currency exchange, I realised, somewhat belatedly, that there's no foreign money in Europe anymore. How strange is that?). Would I ask? Isn't it just the twenty-first century equivalent of standing on a web-corner telling a hard-luck story and holding out a paper cup?

And here's a thought: if she got $600 dollars last week, that must $1 each from a lot of people. And they can only be - according to direct mail maths - the tiniest percentage of her total visitors. So her bandwidth usage must be crazy; who pays her hosting bills? Like I said; an expensive scam, too. Or, she never got the $600 in the first place...

No comments: