Sunday, August 18, 2002

"The first 21st-century trend is eclecticism," says Habitat's head of design, Tom Dixon, in this month's UK edition of Elle Decoration. This is good, we like eclecticism (otherwise none of our eclectical appliances would work, right?).

On a tenuously related note, a friend of mine did a modelling assignment for Cosmo a few months ago, so I nipped out to the shops one lunchtime to buy my copy. As I wandered back into the office, a colleague pointed to the plastic bag in my hand and enquired if I'd bought anything interesting. "Oh, yeah, just a girly magazine - my friend's appearing in it this month," I replied absentmindedly. My colleague gave me a strange look, which I interpreted as meaning that they didn't expect me to have such glamorous friends.

Only when I'd climbed the second of three flights of stairs did I realise that the phrase 'girly magazine' (i.e. full of 'girly' things like how to find/keep/pleasure a man whilst applying stage-perfect make-up and wearing the ultimate next-season shoes) sounds exactly like the phrase 'girlie magazine', which means something entirely different.

Sashinka is currently in Miami

No comments: