Wednesday, August 14, 2002

Half-reading We've Got Blog, and been a little disappointed that I've already read nearly all the pieces online. Now Tom's conveniently linked them, too.

While it's an interesting collection of thinking and ideas about weblogging and its broader context, I think it's targeted at people who don't blog. Because, if you do, you'll most likely know all the arguments. And the arguments are only argued within individual articles, so there's no theme running through the collection, other than "blogging is generally a good thing". And how screenagers see the world through communications technology, and all that kind of thing. Which you already knew.

There is a difference between reading something online and off, though. Online, I tend to skim-read, pick up the main points, cut and paste things I want to think more about. Old media, I read and think, and turn back and re-read. I don't think books will ever go out of fashion, but I don't quite see the point of this collection apart from as a bandwaggon-jumping marketing activity to prove that weblogs are riding the crest of a meme or a wave or something.

No comments: