Saturday, August 24, 2002

Miami Nice
               

And, really, Miami is very nice.

Apart from hanging out with family, and eating in just about every Spanish/Cuban restaurant there is - my family there is mostly Cuban - we had time to do a walking tourof South Beach, learn the difference between the mediterranean revival, tropical deco, nautical deco and depression moderne styles. The definitive book is by Barbara Capitman, who founded the MDPL with Leonard Horowitz.Oh, and I'd really like to go back for the Art Deco Weekend in January; I'm sure it'll be full of people like me. Omigod: I just found out there's even better decoin California.

We did a bus tour that took in Coconut Grove, Port of Miami, Key Biscayne, Coral Gables - home of the rich and famous, including Madonna and Shwarzenegger, Calle Ocho - Little Havana - Brickell Avenue - the downtown financial district - and South Beach, of course. We stopped off downtown, had a little play on the Metromover, the inner-circle subway system, that costs 25 cents flat fare, which bowled us over compared to UK mass transit prices. Did some shopping - I bought five t-shirts in the gap for $50, and that was about it. Not bad for three days, eh?

I read a great trash-book on the trip back, and saw two unmemorable movies: one about a black family trying to get healthcare on medicaid and resorting to hostage taking, and one about a Catholic boy trying to help Jews get to heaven. Both helped me sleep.

Though the jetlag is still getting to me.

No comments: