Saturday, August 24, 2002

What's Going On
Obviously I could just watch CNN at home - if I had cable - but here's what I found out in three days: West Nile virus is sweeping the States, and there have even been offers from Cuba to help contain it. Seems like a cross between Legionnaires and CJD, the way it gets reported.

The States truly is a talkshow nation: Clinton has been offered a talkshow for $35m. Actually, on CNN they said $50m. I tell you, I'd do it for a lot less. The CNN reporter's main question was; "what does Jerry Springer say?" Little known fact: my Dad looks remarkably like Jerry Springer, so maybe he'd do it for less than $35m.

I saw The Terror Tapes played every morning on CNN, with reportage by Nic Robetrson, who found them. Apparently al-Quaida fighters are preparing for another big, urban attack, according to their carefully laid out cities in the mountains of Tora Borah. What I want to know is, why's it got like the Middle Ages: no-one knows what the King looks like, so we can't kill him. It's hard to believe that we have such fabulous technology and intelligence, yet Osama is probably wandering around somewhere with a fake beard or something. The hook was very much the coming 9/11 anniversary, and lots of coverage was given to Lisa Beamer's Let's Roll about her husband Todd Beamer and the guys on flight 93. It really feels like people in the States are looking for something good in this whole mess.

No comments: