Sunday, October 06, 2002

Glamour Puss, Moi?
Last night's glamour party was a truly done-to-the-nines ocassion. I didn't recognise our hostess, I she was wearing makeup for the first time in the probably.... sheesh, fifteen years I've known her. And high heels. She looked fab, and her other half was wearing a suit, which I think is slightly different from his regular surf-gear, but he looked fairly male-model-esque, so not sure he minded.

I went for black boot-cut trousers - very forgiving, darling - with a sparkly burgundy top, sparkly eye makeup - though when P opened the door, in the half-light he thought I was crying, which is not a good look. With my extremely-high-can't-actually walk boots, and some thirties evening jewelry. People said I looked glamorous, but then what else do people say at such a gathering?

J & T were looking fab in their matching Agnes B style shirts and well fitting trousers. Though J had apparently ironed T's cleverly cut doubtless expensive, crinkly shirt.

It reminded me of going to some friends' wedding in New York years ago, where bizarrely the whole of my hometown came to the wedding. So wandering about NY the day before, I kept running into middle-aged friends of my parents. And they say the world's a village. Anyway, as the bride came up the aisle in her Azzedine Alaia dress (it was the mid-nineties. Actually, it might have been Yohi Yamamoto, but it was a carefully constructed crinkly look, nonetheless), all the suburban women whispered to each other, "pah, she could have ironed the dress." The other thing they didn't really get - it was midwinter - was the table decorations of ornamental cabbages: "what is this, salad?"

So last night was really grown-up; catered, cocktails and conversation par excellence. Oh yeah, and a powerpoint presentation running in the background of pics of their new home. So great, in fact, that I never made it to S's pyjama party (though I fear I may have been a little overdressed), but, then, hey, you can't do everything, can you?

No comments: