Wednesday, October 23, 2002

Language. Meetings. Communication. Bah.
In a meeting today - vaguely about asset management/financial instruments, but I wouldn't really know, because I was just bluffing - someone took a look at a piece of work I did a couple of years ago on the coffee industry and said, "we're long on soft-commodities now. What's your view?" Of course they may have said they were short: as soon as someone/anyone starts talking about long/short positions, bull/bear markets, I get financial-babelfish-inertia, and go into that frame of mind where you're on holiday and can't remember if there are a squillion lira to the pound, or a squillion pound to the lira. Not sure I impressed these guys.

Although after a five-second time-lag, I had a good comeback: "I'm a little out of date but give me ten minutes on google and I'll know everything." I guess I'll find out if it worked.

No comments: