Thursday, October 10, 2002

London Tales II
(a series of blokes I've noticed on the underground, basically)
This morning, on the Jubilee line, around 8.20am. Slick looking guy with client-enabled trust-me eyes, who'd evidently had many thousands of pounds of management development training spent on him. Merchant banker type, well-dressed, well-pressed, smart pants Hackett shirt under a 100% cashmere jumper, chunky I-can-do-anything watch.

His bag said "Credit Suisse First Boston" around the top, and from the angle I was sitting, I could only see the end of the strapline (which was bigger than the logo, anyhow, so some agency suit somewhere is happy):

..... in the New Economy

He was reading the Economist - rather old economy to my mind - and saw my eye catch his bag, and put his hand over it. Ashamed? Nervous?

What the hell did it say? Floundering the in the New Economy? Creating the New Economy? Retiring from the profits made in the New Economy?

I will never know.

No comments: