Monday, October 21, 2002

Panicking IS The New World Order

The scariest thing about 9/11 and Bali? While I understand the rules of engagement in a largely nationalistic, post-enlightenment world, this I don't get.

So if the first millennia was all Crusades-type theology-based war, and second millennia disputes were largely - simplistically - landgrab/democracy oriented, then it seems like the third millennia has reverted to type.

So Al Quaeda and the concomitant War Against Terror is predicated on unclear objectives. It's like they're playing Risk to world domination rules, and we're all still playing to old-fashioned missions (should we choose to accept them).

I'm most worried that the world will turn into a late night BBC2 made-for-TV movie, complete with post-apocalyptic internet-free anarchy, where you have to make a life with whoever you were with when the bomb dropped. A bit like Anne Frank didn't really want to spend the war with the dentist Dusseldorf, but shit happens.

My nightmare scenario is that I'll randomly end up spending any putative world-destruction-era with an ex-boyfriend who unceremoniously dumped me for someone thinner, two people who haven't invited me to their parties in like forever, and that really annoying bloke from the newsagent.

The only answer is to avoid being in their company for prolonged periods of time, in case It Happens just when I run into them. New World Order? Stay home.

No comments: