Friday, October 25, 2002

'Scuse, Miss
So Estelle Morris has resigned. Which I'm sure, in management consulting parlance, is really "counselling out."

I can see it now:
Tony: Well, Estelle, we have an up-or-out policy around here now, and I'm not sure you make the grade
Estelle: But I've worked really hard. I know I haven't been perfect, but I've really tried
Tony: No points for trying, it's results that count. We have shareholders to think of, after all
Estelle: Can't I just have an official warning?
Tony: I think we've moved beyond that, don't you, Estelle? I think the summer was an official warning
Estelle: Well -
Tony: And if you will make promises you can't even remember. I'm sorry, but you have to go -
Estelle: Spend more time with the children?

If Estelle worked any of the places I've worked in the last ten years, she would have been disappeared some months ago. Just like - after non-stop listening to Woody Allen The Nightclub Years - I can't hear the world "FBI" without mentally matching it to the sketch that follows it with "surrounds the house", no-one in the country can hear the word(s?) "A-level" without silently adding "fiasco". Which can't be a good thing, can it?

Couple with that the fact that Estelle clearly has the look and feel of someone from my Mother's synagogue ladies' guild - women of a certain age in Jewish suburbia are nearly all called Estelle - her whole career has not been looking good for a while. What worries me is that you can be damn sure that she's silently planning when to reveal her kinky sex romps with other cabinet members for maximum distress. It's always the quiet ones/ones dressed for a Barmitzvah.

No comments: