Monday, October 21, 2002

True Stories: 7 (one in a random series)
Once, at a friend's wedding, I was seated next to the European toilet paper king. Thirtyish - it was his father's business - shiny suit, love of his product, he regaled me with information that I didn't really want to know. Like, did you know, the UK is the only country in the world, apparently, with a differentiated toilet-paper market? Or that we spend more on the product than anyone else?

It must be true: I found a website that more-or-less verifies these facts.

This whole train of thought courtesy of an advert I can't find referenced anywhere on the web, but it exists, honest. I saw it on TV. "New Aroma Velvet" [cue women sniffing/inhaling toilet paper"] - "with the fragrance of white flowers at its centre."

There's a lot of questions, right? Why white flowers? Why is the fragrance at the centre? Surely that's where the hole is? Flowers? Not your regular natural-toilet smell. And isn't the whole thing bad for you, like bubble bath? Not natural, is it?

Unfortunately, I didn't stay in touch with the Toilet Paper King, so I may never know.

No comments: