Sunday, January 12, 2003

Choice Inertia?
So here’s where I’m at: I’m holding the contract for my new, full-time job, due to start mid-February, in my hot sticky hand. And I’m having some second thoughts. I’ve already agreed to do a day a week on a consulting basis, which I’ve started, and they’ve already told me that they’re extremely inflexible about the few small points I raised in relation to the contract (like I want three months’ notice, not one). Actually, call that totally inflexible.

This is just to help me think.

PROS
  • Guaranteed income
  • Recession-proof topic areas
  • Intellectually challenging work

    CONS
  • The more I find out, the more I think the profitshare element is increasingly less achievable
  • Inflexible, public-sector style corporate buzz
  • Annoying commute
  • Building expertise in low-price markets which won’t help me get another job
  • Not convinced about value of brand-name in the market
  • Left with a team who are morale-free, and the people who didn’t take voluntary redundancy
  • The team’s been leaderless for a while, and so been “raided” for resources by other managers
  • My boss offered me another topic area in the interview, and now I find out I have to negotiate with the current owner
  • Two crucial sub-teams, don’t sit with me, but with their cost-centre managers, which will impact on my ability to deliver my bottom line
  • It all just seems very bureaucratic, and I’m basically an entrepreneur
  • I may have to work very, very hard to not achieve anything at all

    I’m kinda talking myself out of this, aren’t I?

    And I know the pro list is way shorter.

    I just feel that deep down I’m a writerly-creative type, and I may be better suited to self-employment. My freelance work has started picking up, and I’m just thinking: do I want to be tied to this place for a minimum of a year and probably two when I’m having more than basic bad-vibe-style feelings? I don't want to sign up for a job where I'm worried up front that I won't get the resources to meet my objectives. Right now, I'm thinking I'm 75% unlikely to make my target.

    I’d really appreciate your view. What would you do?
  • No comments: