Friday, January 31, 2003

Credit Referencing
My credit card expires today. They tried to deliver a new one three weeks ago, but I was at work. Obvious, really. They left a form, and I faxed, and went through their automated phone system, but no card arrived. There's no real-person phone number on the form. So I resorted to email, and asked for it to be delivered to my office yesterday, and nominated a colleague to sign for it if I'm not there. There immediate-response email system )presumably a bloke in an office in a tertiary real-estate part of town somewhere) emailed me and said delivery OK for Friday.

Now, of course, neither I nor my nomimated colleague are likely to make it in to work. I've now tracked down a phone number, called them, and asked for someone else to sign for it.

"Courier won't do that love. Got to be the named person. Security."

I'm too tired to argue. And I can't get out anywhere to use my credit card anyhow. It's like the shtetl; I'm going to walk gingerly on ice to the corner shop and buy whatever food they have and turn that into lunch for tomorrow, for whoever braves their way out of their house.

Tales from the customer service hinterland, nonetheless.

No comments: