Tuesday, January 14, 2003

Job Update
Despite the death of a Gibb, and the Queen being rushed into hospital (people are always rushed into hospital, have you noticed?), I'm feeling neither observational nor entertaining.

Here's where I'm at on the job front: there are four problems
  • the marketing people report to the marketing manager (no problem), although I pay for them. They currently sit with the team, but the new marketing manager is planning to move them to sit centrally. If I can't negotiate my way out of this, I think it will have a detrimental effect on acheiving the business plan: most comapnies in the industry no longer do this, and in fact this company stopped doing it two years ago, but a new MD thinks it's a good idea. The new MD is my boss. Conversation with marketing on Thursday.
  • Ditto the admin people - although they already sit with their cost centre. I'm an internal "customer", and I'm concerned that really smart, responsive businesses in this sector have multi-skilled teams that work together and nothing falls through the cracks because of departmental borders. Conversation a week Thursday.
  • The guy who used to run my team and lost a bundle of money, has moved over (ie spun off) a more sales oriented business unit. I was led to believe it was a completely separate unit; now I discover that he gets the revenue, but I have to resource his products. Even if it means I can't resource mine because my people are busy resourcing his. I talked to him on the phone, and he knows I've rumbled him. Conversation a week Thursday.
  • I was led to believe a market sector in which I have experience would merge with my new team. Now I find out I have to negotiate to get it. Conversation a week Thursday.

    So these are my four deal-breakers. I can live with out the last one, I guess, but the first three are pretty fundamental. So if I can't sort them by a week Thursday, I'm going to have to have one of those "difficult" conversations. My boss thinks I'm all signed up. Better to have a plan, though. I've talked to my current short-contract employer to see if he has more work - he's coming back to me - and the contrast between his high-speed, responsive, smart workplace and the slightly bureaocratic, SLA-negotiating, internal customers thang at my putative employers, is in sharp relief.

    I was taking the job for (a) the intellectual challenge and (b) the money. Or the other way around, I dunno. But if I don't think I can turn the business into profitability, and hence not get a bonus, I'm better off freelancing.

    If only someone would discover me. That's what I need.
  • No comments: