Wednesday, April 14, 2004

I hate Dove Firming Lotion and its associated advertising campaign (press, TV, billboards) with a ferocious bile that I generally reserve for ... things I really hate.

I mean, who do they think they are? Who decides whose curves are "real" and whose are fake, what makes a "supermodel" and why it wouldn't be worth firming their six-stone frame.

Tested on real curves, my arse. If I see Joanna, Coralie, Syleste and Stella cavorting in their whiter-than-whites one more time, I'll put them on an anorexics-only diet. Don't get me wrong, I like it when women look real, I just don't like that realness being exploited for marketing gain. Look! We have real women! They're fat! And you can win £5,000! Firm friends, my foot, it's market-share through and through. You have to enter as a team. To make the marketing department's life easier: you're a bona fide group of friends, they don't even have to match you up like a Benetton advert.

Remember when M&S made a big fuss about having a size sixteen model? And look how the girlies have bought into it being "the best day of their life, they'd never felt so confident."

I think I may be a little incoherent about this. It's marketing, it's exploitation, it isn't nice and you should stop now.

No comments: