Monday, April 26, 2004

I think I'm a victim of mobile phone data-scam.

I get a call from Debbie at Communicate, asking me if I want to upgrade my [telecomms supplier] phone. I say where did she get my number. She says it's randomly generated by The Computer. I ask her where the computer gets it from. She can't tell me, she's new. (I can't help betting she's new every time she gets a customer like me). I ask her if [telecomms supplier] have sold Communicate my data. She says no. I ask for the switchboard number for Communicate, and she doesn't have it to hand.

I ask her to remove me from their database, and she asks me for my postcode. I say that I don't want to give them any more data than they're already got.

She eventually agrees to remove my data, and gives me the phone number - it's a Stoke number. When I call it back, it's got a generic BT Callminder message. The number she called me on (flashed up on my mobile screen) is permanently engaged.

If I was less busy, I'd be more angry.

No comments: