Wednesday, August 18, 2004

It's A Numbers Game

American Jews are very numbers oriented. I can't count the number of times this week people have asked me how many Jews there are in the UK, and how disappointed they look with 250-300,000. Yesterday, I overheard this conversation:

A: Rabbi, so how many members are there in your congregation?
B: That's an interesting question. There was some community politics before I left. The new management group shared with the community that they wouldn't be entering into a contract renewal discussion with the Rabbi - that's me -
A: mmm
B: and, so, I called my attorney
[I don't know if I have the order of this right, so I'm not exactly sure at what point they called their attorney. ]
A: mmm
B: And now I think 100 members have resigned
A: So it's a shrinking community?
B: well, my attorney...

Like I say, it's a fragment.

No comments: