Sunday, September 26, 2004

Another year, another Yom Kippur. I have a feeling of being spiritually cleansed, and feel slightly nervous about going out, as I don't want to ruin it, as I undoubtedly will.

I remember this; when I was about nine or ten, and fervent into my Jewish education (I used to go to extra cheder (hebrew school) on Tuesday, just because I wanted to), I took Yom Kippur very seriously.

Now, the custom is to (a) fast, (b) not wear leather shoes, (c) wear white. A lot of people where trainers, and I noticed yesterday, people wearing leather trainers. Maybe in the future people will think the minhag is to wear sports shoes, for some obscure reason.

So there I was in my white dress, and tennis shoes, and David, the then shul president, says to my dad, then on the Executive, "I don't know if it's anyone for tennis, or if she's a real frummer."

The sad thing about this story is that twenty something years on, my Dad and David are still on the Executive, which says something about (a) their commitment to community, and (b) how disinterested younger people often are in giving something back.

No comments: