Sunday, September 19, 2004

I had a dream...

...last night, that something bad happened to my house. For some reason, I was convinced that the boiler was burst, and I called my flatmate this morning and he said no, everything was fine.

I just got back from Manchester, and get off the motorway, and I'm looking forward to getting home. I always like walking/driving up to my house; it's a moderately well maintained Victorian detached house (converted into umpteen flats, of course), with all the original windows and fittings. It gives me a nice warm feeling.

Only this time, I get home and discover my neighbours who "own" the front three upstairs windows have replaced them with UPVC windows.

Remember how I talked about UPVC windows earlier in the year?

Now, the rational part of me knows that they're at the front of the house, it's probably noisy, there's less maintenance (although that's all shared, and we're due to decorate the outside next summer). But I feel like someone slashed the face of my beautiful house with a knife. I think that surely something that fundamentally changes the look of the house for everyone who lives here ought to have been discussed, although I'm sure my neighbours just thought they were doing improvements and it can only be a good thing.

I'm a little upset.

No comments: