Thursday, September 23, 2004

Let's face it, this is all very 1993. Early yesterday afternoon my cable modem did something strange to its lights that the Telewest people think means it's broken. Fine. Except no-one can come out and visit me till Friday between 11 and 2 (and we all know that means 2pm).

So I'm on dial-up. Remember that noise? The heady screech of phone lines that meant "yes, you're connected". I've even done the AOL free trial, so I get the stupid AOL woman saying "you have mail". She's annoying.

And, turns out the phone modem on my desktop PC doesn't work, I don't know if it's a driver problem or what, so I'm on my laptop, but can't get into my mail properly, now, because my sent mail is on my desktop PC. And of course IMAP on dialup with a 1GB mail file is not exactly gonna be my friend.

I'm a lot calmer than I would have been a couple of years ago. I've called the one client who was waiting for something, and told her there'll be a couple of days delay. WHen I got home las night from my writing class, instead of going straight to my PC, I talked to my flatmate and read a book.

There's something to be said for this (although I do feel a bit like it's the beginning of the war, and all the comms is buggered), but I also feel slightly helpless without the power of the internet instantly at my fingers.

No comments: