Monday, October 04, 2004

Oh, OK. I've been busy, that's all. I kinda feel like we're having a relationship, and I owe you an explanation. It's not like I've been sleeping around, wrinting on other blogs, or anything, it's just that life has been taking up a lot of time.

Mostly, because it's yom tov. It's the time of year where there are four Jewish festivals in a row - Rosh Hashanah (new year), Yom Kippur (day of atomement), then Succot (tabernacles), and now this Thursday/Friday, Shemini Atzeret and Simchat Torah (too longwinded to explain, sorry).

When I had a full-time job, and Yom Tov fell during the week (it's a lunar calendar, so it changes every year - it's great when it's all Sat/Sun) I was always trying to squeeze a week's work into three days, and having to eat up seven days of vacation time. And having to deal with colleagues who'd ask me if I'd had a nice holiday, when in fact it's a holyday, which involves synagogue, family, more meals than you can imagine, and frankly very little R&R.

The first day is fine - you explain to your colleagues it's New Year, and they ask you if you're going to get really pissed, and you say no, Jews don't really drink, it's more about food really, and you bring them some honey cake and everything's fine. Yom Kippur's a fast day, you explain, and they ask if it's a diet after all the food. When it gets to Succot and your eating all your meals in a small hut in the garden with an open roof in Northern European weather, they start thinking you're barking. Which you may be. When it gets to Simchat Torah, you don't even bother telling them everyone gets really drunk to celebrate the completion of the Torah reading cycle.

So I'm yom tov'd out, really. I'm trying to squeeze my work into my little remaining time, and cook, and entertain, and see friends, and write, and have normal life, too. Some things get to the bottom of the list.

I haven't forgotten you, honest.

No comments: