Tuesday, November 09, 2004

While the parallel is unhelpful, I can't help likening the Yasser Arafat situation with matters arising when the Rebbe (Menachem Mendel Shchneerson, deceased leader of Chabad), was dying.

Remember? He was in a "coma" for weeks, as there was great concern about what would happen to his followers when they found out their leader was dead. As I remember it, a couple of factions set up camp either side of his hospital room, both claiming to be the "true leaders." There was lots of apparently cloak-and-dagger action, misinformation and press coverage. Sound familiar?

I've been meaning to read David Berger's book about the inside track on Chabad for a while. Maybe now's a good time.

And before anyone get's an apoplectic fit thinking I'm comparing the two people, I'm not. I'm comparing the circumstances, and what happens in groups when leaders die. That's all.

No comments: