Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Saw Closer last night. The Patrick Marber play that's now a film? (sorry about my uptalk). It should be called Further Away.

In an interview in the Independent Patrick had the gall to say:

"European people perceive Closer as a hot-blooded passionate play, whereas American audiences and critics perceived it as misanthropic, cynical, cold-blooded. Those who didn't like the play just don't like the play, which is fair enough... Most mainstream American films are about redemption: the hero goes on a journey, and becomes a better person as a result of their suffering or experience.

I never felt like Closer ever had a particular message. I'm not that kind of writer. I was just telling a story that I hoped would hold the audience's attention for a couple of hours. No one improves, there aren't great moral lessons to be learnt. The people who don't like it perceive it as a slab of nihilism."


He's just telling a story ... nothing happens. I'm in shock. Stories are precious, and I spend ages, months working out who the people are and why and all those things. He just lets some dialogue fall out of his head and it's a play. Sheesh.

And he's working on Zoe Heller's Notes On A Scandal. I bet he can strip all the soul out of that, too.

No comments: