Monday, March 14, 2005

Went to the Nice Jewish Gurus panel at Jewish Book Week yesterday. Interesting (said with Viennese accent). Lynn Franks is your mum and a hippie and an unreconstructed feminist rolled into one. Carole Caplin thinks she "scrubs up good for forty three". Irma Kurtz is way cool. Carole Caplin is also not so bright; she kept waffling in a new age way that gave me a headache. Nice gillet though, although someone should tell her it's so last season.

The best thing, though, is the audience. From the people who don't even have the courtesy to put a question on the end of their personal rant, to the woman in front of me who "saved" the best aisle seat for 90 minutes. I formed a support group with the two women sitting next to me and we pointed and stared at her nail extensions and Stanmore ways. Eventually an usher asked her to move her coat, and she gave her a look that said "you are the scum of the earth, and also, you need a manicure. I wouldn't let my daughter perform this menial service task."

Short version: lots of Jews, lots of books.

No comments: