Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I think I have made a mistake, and I don't know what to do.

I got a new client (mentioned below) and I was pleased. People come via recommendation, and it's cool. They happened to want to talk about this project about five weeks ago at not a very convenient time for me, but the client's always right, etc, so I did.

I think I didn't negotiate the terms/scope of the project as tightly as I usually might - I've had some other stuff on my mind - and got pissed off when they scaled it back, because the bit they scaled back was the buffer that made it work for me. I was in a corner. And they want the whole thing by Jan 10th, and it's nearly Xmas.

Today, I started calling people, and now I know that (a) it's a sector where no-one talks to you, (b) Xmas is a big deal in this sector, so they're all out of the office, (c) the data my client gave me is not up to standard, (d) it's a dud, basically.

I think I've realised that I don't want this hanging over me over the holidays, when really I want some time to write. Which is the reason I went self-employed in the first place. But I don't want to piss of the client. But they shaved the fee because "they were talking to someone else". So I guess they could go back and talk to them.

I've never done this before, and I think I have a reputation for professionalism, but I don't want to do it anymore.

I think I'm thinking of walking away. Giving them a credit note for the first invoice, sending them what I've done, and saying no-can-do this time/at this time.

My usual advice givers are unavailable, so I'd welcome any that you have...

No comments: