Friday, December 23, 2005

It's Christmas Eve-Eve, and all around me are shopping and stressing, and I feel strangely: calm.

Most of my clients have said "poor you, you don't do christmas", sort of implying I don't have any friends at all.

But really, what I know now is that christmas is a yomtov, and if you're not jewish, it's the only yomtov, because hardly anyone keeps easter, as far as I can tell (apart from the church across the road from the gym). So while I don't totally agree with the mass consumerizm, I like the idea of people spending time with family and friends, eating too much, arguing too much and generally having a fun time.

I don't feel left out. I have a vast amount of times and things to celebrate during the year (and chanukah starts sunday night), so I'm not short of a party or a reason to be cheerful. I'm kinda looking forward to a relax weekend; hanging out, going to shul, lots of writing, seeing friends, some walking maybe. I'm off to Limmud for one day (on a mini-break with B: it's so Bridget Jones), and I'm resisting the temptation to make new year's resolutions because I already did it back in October (rosh hashanah) and I've not done so well on those yet.

So season's greetings, whatever the season. And I'm still here, for a while.

No comments: