Monday, July 31, 2006

It's Tisha B'Av on Wednesday night/Thursday - the ninth of Av, a fast day, and pretty serious day in the Jewish calendar.

It's about commemorating all the bad things - and let's face it, Jewish history is the narrative of "they tried to kill us" - and it feels particularly intense this year.

Truth is the first casualty of war - but reading and not reading what's happening in Israel, Lebanon, Syria, Gaza, I'm having a hard time. This feels like, in so many ways, it's the worst it's ever been.

While you may not be that interested in my personal Jewish journey, I'm getting frummer. It's a surprise, even to me. And of course, I'll never be that frum, because I'm sort of modern and post-denominational and all those things. But when I came to choosing between the Masorti and Federation shuls that I largely frequent, now, when it feels like it's really important, the chips are down, I need to be in the place that feels most like home.

Like in the Wizard of Oz. You just click your heels, and say, "there's no place like home."

No comments: