Thursday, July 06, 2006

You know how the world is - there's lots going on around you, you just don't always know.

Well, yesterday, someone mentioned in passing that there is a lot of negative feeling about Jerusalem World Pride, scheduled for August 2006.

Apparently, the (Sefardi) chief Rabbi Shlomo Amar has written to the Pope, to ask him to issue an edict. And there's general bad feeling and petitions from the charedim and right wing. Good summary here from PinkNews, although they do describe the Beth Din as "ultraorthodox", when, really, it's just orthodox. Nuances are perhaps not so helpful.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Being Jewish is (not exclusively, but is) about warmth, openess, standing up and being counted. Jews have been the "other" throughout history, and to treat others within our group with such disgust is not - to me - any kind of Jewish value at all.

Like it says in Pirke Avot: "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?"

No comments: