Thursday, August 17, 2006

You should get rid.

For some reason, this just popped into my (overactive) brain. Last night, went for a walk/supper with an old Cheadle/Gatley friend, and we talked about special Manchesterisms, one of which is the phrase "get rid."

Like this, "he's a waste of space, she should get rid."

Once, I shared a train journey back from Manchester with an old family friend who was dating a terribly unsuitable man (who she later married and then divorced, and has now remarried a different (better, apparently) man). I listened to her lengthy tale of woe, which I won't go into details about - mostly because I can't remember it - and then she asked me what I should do.

It was only because she asked, honestly.

"You should get rid." I did say it ironically. Did she take my advice?

No comments: