Friday, September 15, 2006

In the interests of public information, and because someone just googled on why do jewish people buy fresh bread on Fridays (for which I am apparently on the front page), I'll explain.

It's a Jewish custom to have two loaves of challah, plaited (generally, except on certain festivals) white bread, which replicates the double portion of manna that the Israelites got in the wilderness on a Friday, as they could not do the work of collecting it on shabbat, the day of rest.

So I'm sure I've missed out a million things I should/could say, but that's about it. And I'm sure my regular commentators will add anything required, that's the wonder of the wisdom of crowds/collective intelligence. Also, it means I don't have to remember so many things any more.

Shabbat shalom.

No comments: