Friday, September 08, 2006

Thich Nhat Hanh's Five mindfulness trainings, broadly:
  • compassion, not killing
  • loving kindness, social justice
  • responsible sex
  • loving speech and deep listening
  • mindful consumption (food, drink, goods in general)


All sounds very sensible. I once heard him speak, a few years back, because he was in London, and I felt like it was a once-ina-lifetime chance. I got kinda freaked out by all the people mindfully walking up the stairs in some Westminster venue. Mindful walking is v-e-r-y slow, and when you have hury-hurry-immediacy (as I do, but a lot less than I did then), you can't really hack it.

He did give off a terribly peaceful vibe. And with hundreds of people sitting silently, mindfully, it was the complete antithesis to most of the Jewish experiences I have had.

No comments: