Thursday, March 08, 2007

Belated Purim same'ach, which was on Sunday.

This year, I didn't have time to even make mishlo'ach manot/shalach manos (they are the same: hebrew and traditional/yiddish pronounciation). Although I did receive some. Technically, you just need to give one gift of two things, one prepared, one not, to a friend. I gave my flatmate something. I gave matanot levyonim (charity) in shul, and I heard 75% of two megillahs. So that's no kosher megillah at all - the law is, you're supposed to hear every word of the megillah (the scroll of Esther), but I was slightly late on Saturday night, and helping a friend run something on Sunday, so kept ducking in and out.

Anyway, a friend reminded me that Purim is a time of year when lots of people die; just the end of winter, and apparently it's a global thing, and that's why lots of carnivals are this time of year; fancy dress, a slightly ghoulish style. And Purim is a fancy dress festival, too, although more for kids than grown ups. Suffice it to say, I didn't dress up, as I kinda don't really like it.

No comments: