Sunday, April 01, 2007


DSC02111
Originally uploaded by sashinka-uk.
While I was in NY, the conference I was at was oddly (beshert?) held at the Jewish Heritage Museum, and they had an exhibit of Ruth Gruber photos.

This is Romanian Jews greeting each other at Haifa in 1951. Looking at this photo really made my cry.

Maybe because my family once-a-long-time-ago came from Romania/Moldova, although my great-grandfather's siblings' families, we don't really know anything about, so I don't know what happened to them during the war. Once branch apparently went to Argentina, and I've tried to find them.

Maybe it's because a couple of years ago I was priveleged to meet Ruth Gruber(who is now 97 but honestly only looked about 63 when I met her) and I sat at her feet, spellbound listening to her stories.

Or maybe it was the jetlag catching up with me.

No comments: