Monday, April 16, 2007

So I really only joined Facebook because I wanted to promote my Inconvenient Truth screening (which is a week on Sunday, if you want to come...). Honest. I got a very cute email from someone not so down-with-the-kids, but thoughtful, nonetheless, saying "had I heard about Foxbook, it would be a really good place to put my movie thing".

So I signed up. And then, in the last two weeks, I've become slightly addicted to it. Partly, because I have a slightly addictive personality (I'm guessing) and partly because... well, I don't totally know why. I mean, the people I know in real life I know, and the people I vaguely know I run into at parties, and the people I don't know, I don't know.

But now, I know what my 19 year old cousin is doing at university, and when people are very status-enabled (ie they change their status all the time) I know how they feel and what they're doing and everything.

And the wall thing. I went on Facebook and saw that two of my friends had left me really public messages. Nice stuff, how are you, let's have coffee. But still, I don't know how I feel, living my life in public. (You may think this silly, given that I've been blogging for more than five years and some would say that I totally live my life in public, but... it's different. Really.)

So I'm a natural networker (people tell me), although since I got my PVR I've spent a lot of quality time with my TV, and since I'm a little bit of a geek, I like the systemetising of it all, and of course it's a stalker's dream (if I were so inclined), but I've spent a lot of time there, and I don't even know why.

People keep asking me how many friends I have. On facebook.

And then I joined LinkedIn. For years/months I got invites from people, and I thought what's this, and then I got the bug and I'm doing that, too.

In fact, I'm spending so much time on (online) social networking and web-two-point-nought that I'm not actually doing any work.

Must go out to lunch, now.

I have had a meeting this morning. And two conference calls.

No comments: