Friday, June 08, 2007

Theatre roundup: because I don't want you to think I've been activity-free. On the contrary, I've been fitting a lot in, and there's just ... not a lot of bandwidth left.

  • Taking Care of Baby at the Hampstead Theatre is kinda harrowing, as it's about the Donna McAuliffe case. It's verbatim theatre (new to me) which means it ends up having a slightly Big Brother feel to it. Reminds me a little of Capturing the Friedmans; essentially it's about truth, and what counts as truth. Be aware: you might think it's all over in one act, but it's an interval, not the end.

  • Little Shop of Horrors at the Duke of York's Theatre. Sheridan Smith plays Audrey, and she had some serious fans in the audience. The plant is amazing - both in terms of technology and voice. I don't even like musicals (exceptions for this and Rocky Horror, kitsch being my middle name). Feed me. See it.

  • All Mouth at the Menier Chocolate Factory, Southwark's finest. This is a total must-see. A brilliant, insightful comedy, which really shows the inside track on advertising and luvvies, and had me thinking about the characters for days afterwards.
  • No comments: