... apart from the obvious planet-saving feeling, is that they're actually quite crap at their core competency, light giving.
So in my bedroom, I have a hand-flocked purple chandelier, and it's got six energy saving lightbulbs, and when you turn it on of a winter's morning, it takes about ten minutes to "fire up" in quite a Dickensian-light sort of way.
Great when you're not quite ready to face the day. Crap if you want to see something, of course.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Wednesday, December 09, 2009
It was the first place I took Zaphod, when I went out and about to do things with him. And I remember thinking how big the one year old kids looked.
And it was (is?) a great place to go and browse. Big store, lots of sofas, a Paperchase concession if you had a stationeryist yearning.
And bookstores are good. Sure, I can price check anything and get it delivered on my Amazon Prime account, but nothing will ever take away browsing and finding. The spontaneous. The unusual. The random.
And now, it's like vultures. (I'm as guilty as anyone else). The store is heaving with people who wouldn't have gone there before, and they're all grabbing at the remaining books, and wondering over the weird gifty stuff they seem to have started selling and ... it's busy. Way busier than it was in normal life.
They haven't hoovered, and they're all going to lose their jobs anyway, so the staff are not - understandably - feeling so customer service oriented, and it's all just... sad.
Had a nice coffee with S+D, though.
Last time, probably.
Thursday, December 03, 2009
- bought baby pasta
- requested repeat precsription for family member
- gone to storage to review our insurance claim situation
- returned cables to Maplin (for new PC setup, turned out we didn't need them)
- done an hour's desk research on a client project
- made humous
- arranged flowers
- done *more* washing
- done some (client) filing
- put the dishwasher on
- added some items to Tesco order for next week
- bought stuff for sheva brachot at weekend
- charged mobile phone
- deleted a ton of email
- negotiated with a speaker
and it's only 10.21...
- taken out a load of washing, and hung it up
- put on a new load of washing
- made Zaphod's food for the day
- checked some copy
- put toys away from yesterday
- cooked chickpeas
- changed zaphod's nappy and dressed him
- given Zaphod his milk
- checked email
- read entire internet
- made list for today
- packed car with things I need to do today
- made beds
- done washing up / wiped kitchen surfaces
- put yesterday's washing away
- tidied dining area
- oragnised cheques to bank (yes, people still give me cheques)
... and it's only 7.21