Monday, March 29, 2010

My grandma's Seder plate

Most seder plates have six sections, but for some reason, my grandma's has seven - we've often debated the extras.

I think that the top middle one is something in yiddish that might mean either salt water or egg, and the one to its left (kotzech?) I'm always meaning to look up the root of..

Anyway: tomorrow night (second night) is the first seder I'm making in my house.

It's a big deal.

I mean, it's a small seder: we've decided to be just the three of us, and start early with the plush seder plate so that Zaphod can.. do whatever 17 month old toddlers do at seder. But I hope he... enjoys the vibe and the matzah (his new word for the day) and the songs and the food...

But it's big because, well, making your own seder. We're the grown ups. We're a family, doing the things that families do.

Anyway, gut yomtov:)

No comments: