Friday, April 12, 2002

Coming back from my class in Highgate, I spied a number 247 bus, bearing the legend HARINGAY bus station. I knew, immediately, there was something wrong with it, but couldn't work out what. There's something appealingly correct about mispelled words in print. There is a street sign at White City saying Neasdon is 3 miles.

Whilst we're talking about buses: I never understand those buses that bear the legend SORRY NOT IN SERVICE on their route indicator. [When I googled on this phrase, surprisingly, there's very little out there apart from trainspotter-style stuff] This is what I don't understand - if the bus is going along the route you expect, why isn't it in service? Why can't it just collect passengers along the way? As if it was, in fact, in service? And what's with the comma? They can't be bothered to collect passengers, but they can punctuate?

Count 'em. They're out there. A nation of Londoners demand the right to get on a bus going to their destination. Ken should be quavering in his glass-plated office. [If only I could get comments to work I could find out what other people think. Mail me?]

No comments: