Thursday, April 11, 2002

Just got back from the movies (again): 24 Hour Party People. Great film. A certain sense of gritty realism, as I grew up in MaDchester, and was at college during the Hacienda Years. The movie does a strange post-modern talking to camera as if other actors aren't there thing, and you walk away feeling much more like you've watched a documentary rather than particpated in a story. Do you care about Tony Wilson? Becuase if you don't, there are no other characters to grab you. I felt a little bad as I dragged E and C to see it, and they were not so taken by it, though E enjoyed it professionally, as she's In TV. The music - to be expected of course - is fab; and for me, a real rollercoster down memory lane (or something) of my childhood: Happy Mondays, New Order, Duritti Column, Vinni Reilly. Shame that other same-era bands like The Smiths and The Stone Roses don't feature. The Guardian liked it in a grauniadesque way.

Continuity ephemera: no-one drank bottled water in 1983. Believe me, I was there; no-one. Yates Bar on Corporation Street didn't exist. The entrance to Picadilly Station was radically altered in the late nineties. I know, I know, none of these things matter.

Cute ephemera: Watch out for the real Tony Wilson playing a TV director in the third act. Dave Gorman is John the postman. John Thomson (from Cold Feet) plays a fab TV producer cameo, and looks stunningly, beleivably eighties.

No comments: