Tuesday, April 09, 2002

Just got back from the movies. went to see Sidewalks of New York. Great movie... was finished in 2001, but apparently distribution was delayed after 9/11 as NY is in the title and there are two images of the twin towers. It's very sub-Woody Allen... lots of rows along the lines of "is that what you're saying?", "that's what I'm saying.", "you're saying that?", which I guess gives a movie a certain sort of realism, but frankly I can get realism at home. Also it's edited in that fake hand-held way, that just makes me feel like I have bad eyesight. It's amazing that no one in the whole movie drinks coke, (everyone's heavily into Pepsi and Heineken), and some of the characterisations are flat... Ashley, the cute, unconfident college student/waitress (though we never see her study) is mostly "like, er, is that, like, OK?" but in two rows starts effing and blinding line an East End whore, and has a couple of witty one-liners that she would just never say; "am I just another notch in your belt, is that it?". Oh, and this movie gets an award for the most occurrences of the phrase "it was so weird/I felt so weird/was it weird."

Cute ephemera: Ed Burns, the writer/director, also stars as one of the cooler men, and is now engaged to Christy Turlington, after dating Heather Graham (who stars brilliantly as Annie Matthews).


And so to bed. I should open a shop, right?

No comments: