Friday, May 10, 2002

Books. My friend Abe worked out that if you read 45 books a year and have 55 "reading years" in your life, you read a total of 2,475 books in your lifetime. I tend to read more than one a week, but it depends how much I'm writing. The Book Limit Theory just depresses me; I prefer the feeling of infinite wisdom waiting for me somewhere out there... Z keeps a notebook of all the books she's read, whereas I just try and remember. Badly.

Right now I'm reading Killing Time by Frank Tallis (after reading his second novel, Sensing Others, first). Sensing others was incredibly written, and set against a backdrop of Kilburn, which made me feel right at home, and covered issues ranging from psychotherapeutic drugs, eco-warriors, rock music and S&M. So that's me then.

Just had a book binge this morning in WH Smith at London Bridge: The Rotters Club/Jonathan Coe (I loved What A Carve Up, though not so taken by The House of Sleep, which smacked of first-novel-self consciousness) Still She Haunts Me by proto-feminist/model-a-like Katie Roiphe (a novel based on the Lewis Carrol/Alice Liddell story), and Thin Skin by Emma Forrest (I think in the chick-lit vein, though I never really got into her Namedropper).

So that's me staying in for the next...

No comments: