Monday, May 27, 2002

There's a lot to say. First, the whole uptalk/HRT thing had me thinking about a couple of people I talked to recently, who I like to call Too Much Information People. So Sunday, I saw my father's cousin Janice (not, of course, her real name), and I aksed her how she was and she replied:

"Fine. Well, not so fine, really. I've had a banging headache all weekend." I nodded symapthetically. "Just won't go away. My doctor suggested I revise the HRT treatment, but I'm not so sure. Would you like to see pictures of my daughter and her non-Jewish partner? We're so disappointed, but what can you do?" She then went into what I call The No Neck Position; shrug your shoulders as if you have no neck and are in need of immediate osteopathic treatment, to indicate disapproval.

The previous weekend, I ran into a scary woman, X, at a party. She always answers six questions instead of one when you talk to her, and she scares me shitless. And, frankly, I'm quite hard to scare. She's generally fairly unhip, and looked uber-trendy in an of-the-moment peasant ensemble that both our ancestors would not have paid two roubels for in the Old Country. I said she looked nice. She replied:

"Thanks. My friend Sarah lent me her clothes, you see I'm losing weight and she's gaining weight, so I think I'll have them for a while. She's dieting, and plans to be in them again by September, but I had to trendy up becuase I've been asked to be [something identifying] on [major TV programme] and they said I couldn't wear a suit. I tried to get out of it, but [her professional body] put me up for it and I got the short straw. Another drink?"

I so want to tell you who she is, but in recognition of everything I said a couple of weeks back about anonymity, I won't. Shame though. For you, anyway.

FYI: this thought-link-journey went: HRT-my Dad's cousin - other annoying TMI people-great gossip.

No comments: