Sunday, June 02, 2002

Cool weekend so far (and another two days to go). Friday night my neighbours came over for Thai green curry and lots of red wine, which turned into a very late, giggly night. Yesterday I got up late, sat in the garden. Last night, saw Panic Room with B - his choice.

It's a strange movie. Completely got my attention in an edge-of-the-seat way, until the inconsistencies started getting to me so much that my buy-in left me. Was just sitting there thinking "but she'd never do that!" "Wouldn't there be a blowback?" And other such stuff.

Don't read on if you hate knowing the plot of a movie (though this is Hollywood, so the plot is no great surprise).

Stuck in the panic room with her ailing kid, and never having trained as a telecoms engineer, she manages to connect up the phone, calls her ex-husband, getting cutt off by the intruders mid-call. Her husband comes round, and gets beaten up by the three guys - what a surprise. When they hold a gun to his head and ask if he's called the Police, he says no. Later, when Jodie gets out but the intruders are still in the house, he tells her he was lying. Now I've never had a gun held to my head - but I have been in scary situations - and I think he would tell them the truth.

When the Police come to the door - the intruders are now locked in the panic room with the child, but can see everything on the CCTV - Jodie has a long, and I mean l-o-o-o-n-g chat with them, saying everything's fine, even being witty. Also, she puts on her sweater before answering the door. This was the point where I stopped beleiving in the movie: she wants to save her child, the intruders can see her talking to the police, and are surely going to think she's told them what's happening and they'll be back with backup shortly. But they don't. She waves at them on the CCTV and they go "cool, she didn't tell the Police anything." Which she didn't, but she should have.

Jodie knocks out all the CCTV cameras in the middle of the third act, and one of the intruders says "wish we'd have thought of that." I'm with that man, yeah.

Jodie's kid has some kind of diabetes/hypoglycaemia, and wears a heart rate monitor. I'm not a doctor and don't understand her condition, but when she goes to bed her resting heart rate appears to be 70, and I think that's really high.

One of the baddies ends up giving Kristen her shot, and she goes from being practically comatose to chatty before he gives it to her.

The baddie comes back after he's escaped - in an overweight Huggy Bear kind of way - and saves the day, patting the kid on the head and running off with the money. Like, really.

All in all rating: straight to video.

No comments: