Saturday, July 13, 2002

Attack of the Killer Strawberries

I'm in Tesco yesterday, buying fruit and vegetables for the so-healthy lunch I'm making in a minute. I know, I should support independent food retailers, but there aren't any in Kilburn.

So I'm standing looking at the strawberries, nestled in their fake punnets. They're dark red, swollen, huge. Slightly misshapen. They look like they came from another planet. Someone in Tesco's strawberry marketing department obviously knows this, as they have a label on them bearing the legend "darker variety".

I look at the woman next to me, and she is clearly having similar thoughts.

Me: They don't look natural, do they?
Her: No, but the organic ones are about four strawberries for £1.69
Me: I'm sure strawberries were smaller and pinker when I was a kid
Her: Yeah. Definitely not natural
Me: Mmm
Her: They're genetically modified, that's what it is
Me: Yeah

I still bought them. Don't ask me why. C, C, M, Z, D, M, A and M are coming for lunch at 1230, if the alien soft summer fruit doesn't get me first.

No comments: